Diamond dies - Polycrystalline diamond wire dies (PCD dies)
Polycrystalline diamond dies, abbreviated as PCD, are man-made sintered diamonds and can be used for almost any type of wet or dry wire drawing application and are available in three main groups: unsupported and supported metal filled, and thermally stable.
For each group, several PCD blanks are available that match your wire surface finish needs as they are offered in diamond grain sizes ranging from 1 to 50 microns.
All PCD blanks contain randomly oriented diamond particles. The result is a perfectly round wear pattern for each die, ensuring that your wire remains round.
Let our experienced sales staff help you choose the most cost-effective or readily available diamond blank for your application or let us know if you specifically need a Sumitomo sumidia or Diamond innovations-Compax PCD blank. Our diamond dies are high quality.
Key benefits of SK PCD diamond wire dies
- Available for almost any type of wire drawing operation, from rod-size to fine-size
- Can be used for wet and dry drawing applications
- Predictable wire surface quality
- Contain randomly oriented diamond crystals, making certain that wire remains round; even with significant wear the wire remains round
- Blank dimensions are guaranteed, hence maximum recut dimensions can be predicted
Diamond die Applicability
Polycrystalline diamond blanks as a base material can be successfully applied in almost any wire drawing operation, from rod-size to intermediate and fine size wires.
The randomly oriented sintered diamond crystal structure makes these nib types stay round during use and its longevity is known to outperform both Natural and Synthetic single crystal diamond dies.
Typical application areas:
- Copper wire
- Aluminum wire
- Tungsten wire
- Molybdenum wire
- Stainless steel wire
- Coated steel wire
- Special alloy and high performance alloy wire
- Precious metal wire
- Various other ferrous and non-ferrous metal wire types
- Polycrystalline diamond can be chosen as a raw material for the following products from SK:
- Wire drawing dies (wire dies)
- Shaped wire drawing dies
- Bunching & strading dies
- Extrusion dies